The IPLA Global Forum 2012 on "Empowering Municipalities in Building Zero Waste Society - A Vision for the post-Rio+20 Sustainable Urban Development" will be hosted by the Ministry of Environment of the Republic of Korea (MoE-Korea) and UNCRD and co-organized by the Korea Society of Waste Management (KSWM) on 5-6 September 2012, in Seoul, Republic of Korea.
The objective of the Forum is to:
(i) reinforce the recommendations of the “Declaration for Moving towards Zero Waste through IPLA” (Daegu Declaration 2011)* which was agreed in Daegu, Republic of Korea, in October 2011, and subsequently, the Marrakech Declaration on Greening the Waste Sector in the MENA Region (May 2012)**; and
(ii) discuss the best means of addressing the outcome document of the Rio+20, “The Future We Want”, with regard to sustainable cities and waste management, and to link these efforts to empowering municipalities in developing countries in respect of achieving zero waste societies.
Participants, including representatives from local authorities/municipalities, governments, the private sector, NGOs, research institutions, international organizations, among others, will deliver presentations and hold discussions on the following themes:
- Role of partnerships towards sustainable cities;
- Zero waste policies and programmes towards resilient urban communities;
- Public-private-partnerships (PPP) towards zero waste cities; and
- Local government initiatives on innovative waste management.
Also, the first phase of IPLA Portal - the multi-facet and dynamic platform for fostering multi-stakeholder partnerships in waste sector - will be launched.
Furthermore, several concrete activities under IPLA (e.g. training/capacity building, zero waste roadmap, project proposals, etc.) will be announced/proposed by IPLA members and partners.
For further details, please visit the following websites:
- IPLA website: http://www.uncrd.or.jp/env/ipla/index_form.htm
- Re-Tech 2012 website: http://re-tech.org/eng/conference/01.php
* Declaration for Moving towards Zero Waste through IPLA (Daegu Declaration 2011)
** Marrakech Declaration on Greening the Waste Sector in the MENA Region (May 2012)